Master of Education
Advanced Literacy Instruction
As the student population continues to diversify, it is critical that teachers understand how to provide all students with the building blocks of literacy. Gain the knowledge you need with the online Master of Education in Advanced Literacy Instruction degree from Concordia University Texas. Our program focuses on how to reach struggling students and help them acquire basic literacy skills. The online learning environment is an ideal alternative for working teachers, who need convenience and flexibility while still receiving a high-quality education.
The Master of Education in Advanced Literacy Instruction prepares students to be leaders in classrooms at all levels. Graduates learn how to be advisors and advocates for literacy education, including language acquisition, literacy and literature, and instructional design. Our program also prepares students for the TExES Reading Specialist exam that measures competency of literary specialists. The degree qualifies you to enter specialized leadership roles in your educational community, making better benefits and salary opportunities available.
Benefits of the program include:
- Focused curriculum: All of our program’s courses offer in-depth instruction into key areas of study essential to success in literacy education including language acquisition, differentiated instruction and remediation.
- A trusted education: Since 1926, Concordia has provided students with valuable degrees rooted in the liberal arts.
- Convenience: Our online program allows you to balance your degree program with your work schedule and personal commitments at a pace that works for you.
- Year-round support: Our online help desk is available 24/7/365.
- Next Start Date: 01/04/2016
- Credit Hours: 30
- Course Length: 8 Weeks
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for instructional coordinators who specialize in literacy education have a bright outlook. The field has a projected employment increase of 23 percent by 2018, much higher than the national average. Instructional coordinators earn a median annual pay of $60,050 according to the BLS.
- A completed online graduate admission application.
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.0 scale); if your GPA falls below that you will be asked to submit an essay to be reviewed.
- Official transcripts from the college or university where you earned your bachelor’s degree and/or attempted graduate coursework.
- Three letters of recommendation from your last two immediate supervisors and a professional colleague through our online application system.
- A copy of your teaching certificate.
For more admissions information, please visit our admissions page or contact our admissions office today. Our supportive staff is here to help. Email us at email@example.com or call 844-CTX-CTX1 (844-289-2891) to learn more about the M.Ed. in Advanced Literacy Instruction, or, click here to begin your application.Request More Information
To earn an online M.Ed. in Advanced Literacy Instruction degree, students must complete the following courses. To graduate, 30 credit hours are required,which typically can be completed in 18 months. Classes are offered throughout the year.
MED 5303 Curriculum Design & Practice
MED 5305 Education Research
MED 5308 Ethics and Leadership in Education
MED 5309 Differentiated Instruction & Learning Theory
LTC 5330 Language Acquisition and Emergent Literacy
LTC 5331 Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum
LTC 5333 Literature and Literacy
LTC 5336 Literacy Improvement and Remediation
LTC 5338 Reading and Literacy Programs
LTC 5339 Evaluation and Diagnosis of Literacy Needs