Give students the gift of literacy with the online Reading Specialist Certification program at Concordia University. Our program gives educators the skills needed to help students improve their reading comprehension, no matter the challenges they present. The flexible, convenient online classroom allows working teachers to complete their program in a supportive, collaborative environment designed around their schedule.
Reading specialists can make a difference in students at any level of education. Whether a child is just learning how to read or a high school student has fallen behind in literacy, reading specialists can help students become the best reader possible. These experts help support students who may otherwise slip through the cracks, and serve as an intermediary between teachers and parents, encouraging more reading and improvement of literacy in the home. With Concordia’s program you will gain the necessary tools to fill all of the functions of this role.
The Reading Specialist Certification prepares educators to expand their abilities beyond the traditional teaching role. On top of the diverse and critical skills you will gain, our program prepares you for the TExES Reading Specialist Certification exam. Upon completion of your degree, you will be prepared for the test and ready for a new chapter in your career.
Benefits of the program include:
- Focused curriculum: All of our program’s courses offer in-depth instruction into key skills and knowledge needed to become an effective reading specialist. Course topics include evaluation of literacy needs, remediation and language acquisition.
- A trusted education: Since 1926, we have provided students with a valuable degree that is rooted in the liberal arts.
- Convenience: Our online program allows you to balance your degree program with your work schedule and personal commitments. And you can earn your degree at a pace that works for you.
- Year-round support: Our online help desk is available 24/7/365.
- Next Start Date: 08/24/2015
- Credit Hours: 18
- Course Length: 8 Weeks
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median pay of instructional coordinators, including those who work in literacy, is $60,050. This career is also expected to grow 13 percent by 2022, as fast as the national average. With this program you will be prepared for the TExES Reading Specialist Exam, required to work as a reading specialist in Texas. Completion of the exam will offer opportunities in public and private schools across the state.
- A completed online graduate admission application.
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.0 scale); if your GPA falls below that you will be asked to submit an essay to be reviewed.
- Official transcripts from the college or university where you earned your bachelor’s degree and/or attempted graduate coursework.
- Three letters of recommendation from your last two immediate supervisors and a professional colleague through our online application system.
- A copy of your teaching certificate.
For more admissions information, please visit our admissions page or contact our admissions office today. Our supportive staff is here to help. Email us at email@example.com or call 844-CTX-CTX1 (844-289-2891) to learn more about the Reading Specialist Certification, or, click here to begin your application.Request More Information
LTC 5330 Language Acquisition and Emergent Literacy
LTC 5331 Reading and Writing across the Curriculum
LTC 5333 Literature and Literacy
LTC 5338 Reading and Literacy Programs
LTC 5339 Evaluation and Diagnosis of Literacy Needs
LTC 5336 Literacy Improvement and Remediation (Practicum)