Literacy is the foundation for academic success. Inspiring a love of reading can be one of the greatest gifts a teacher can give. As the student population diversifies, it is critical for teachers to reach those struggling to master basic literacy. Many teachers must balance providing extra support to students in need, while developing classrooms as a whole.
The Master of Education in Advanced Literacy Instruction degree at Concordia University Texas online is designed to educate teachers specializing in literacy education. We give educators the skills to be leaders in classrooms at all levels. With a master’s degree, you will be able to move beyond entry-level teaching roles and into more specialized leadership roles, such as a leading education in literacy. Our program will open opportunities in literacy education.
Students in the online M.Ed. program will expand their knowledge of techniques to enhance the reading skills of students and will be able to advocate for the highest level of literacy education across the curriculum.
Graduates will be able to identify, diagnose, and remediate student reading and writing issues. Our program also prepares students for the TExES Reading Specialist Exam, the Texas tests that measures the competency of literacy specialists. Students will do real-world case studies to learn how to apply a variety of new techniques in the classroom.
Features of the program include:
- Empowerment: We will train you to become a change agent in literacy at your school, making you a resource for administrators, teachers and parents in your educational community.
- Skills for Every Level: Our program welcomes educators who teach at every level. From early childhood to high school, our programs teach skills applicable for every setting.
- Convenience: Our experienced teachers and administrators understand the difficulties that come with balancing an online degree program with working as a teacher. At Concordia University Texas, we will ensure that you earn your degree at your convenience.
- Year-Round Support: Our online help desk is available for students 24/7/365.
To earn a M.Ed in Advanced Literary Instruction degree, students must complete the following courses. 30 credits are required to graduate, and the program typically can be completed in 18 months. Classes are offered all year round.
|MED 5303||Curriculum Design & Practice|
|MED 5305||Classroom Teacher as Researcher|
|MED 5308||Ethics and Leadership in Education|
|MED 5309||Differentiated Instruction and Learning Theory|
|LTC 5330||Language Acquisition and Emergent Literacy|
|LTC 5331||Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum|
|LTC 5333||Literature and Literacy|
|LTC 5336||Literacy Improvement and Remediation|
|LTC 5338||Reading and Literacy Programs|
|LTC 5339||Evaluation and Diagnosis of Literacy Needs|
How to Apply
Applying is simple and fast.
To apply you will need:
- A completed online graduate admission application.
- A minimum GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.0 scale); if your GPA falls below that you will be asked to submit an essay to be reviewed.
- Official transcripts from the college or university where you earned your bachelor’s degree and/or attempted graduate coursework.
- Three letters of recommendation from your last two immediate supervisors and a professional colleague through our online application system.
- A copy of your teaching certificate.
For more admissions information, please visit our admissions page or contact our admissions office today.
Our supportive staff is here to help. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 844-CTX-CTX1 (844-289-2891) to learn more about the M.Ed in Advanced Literacy Instruction. Or, click here to begin your application.